Has a death just occurred? Here’s what to do
Steps to follow and what to prepare when a death occurs
First, Magnus Poirier offers its most sincere condolences. Whatever your financial situation, your beliefs or your needs, we will support you in your bereavement. In addition, we will guide you in the decisions to be made and can organize all aspects of the funeral, making sure that it is conducted according to your wishes in every respect.
1. Call us at 514 727-2847 or 1 888 727-2847 or write to us. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You can then inform us of the death and make an appointment with one of our counsellors. This appointment can take place at your home, at one of our funeral homes, over the phone or online.
2. For your appointment with one of our counsellors, prepare the following documents or information on the deceased person:
- Photos of the deceased
- Name, date and place of birth
- Date and place of death
- Father’s name and mother’s birth name (maiden name)
- Social insurance number (SIN) and health insurance number (HIN))
- Marital status: single, married, widowed, legally separated or divorced
- Date of marriage, legal separation or divorce, if applicable
- Number of the funeral pre-arrangement made with us, if applicable
- List of names of family members to be included in the obituary
If the body is to be displayed, bring a complete set of the deceased’s clothing, including underwear and shoes and, if applicable, rings, jewellery, perfume, make-up, etc.
If you would like us to make a multimedia presentation, please provide written or audiovisual material about the deceased. These documents can be delivered to us on paper or by USB drive, slides or memory card.
In order to always serve you better and respect your wishes or those of your loved one, before any funeral pre-arrangement and arrangement, Magnus Poirier and your funeral director make sure that the beneficiary does not already have a funeral contract, as stipulated by the Registre des contrats d’arrangements funéraires préalables (link only available in French).
What needs to be prepared?
- Cemetery (lot number or concession title)
- Complete set of clothing, including underwear and shoes
- Recent photos (newspaper, web, preparation, identification)
- Personal belongings such as jewellery, perfumes, make-up, etc.
- Photos, slides, USB stick or memory card for multimedia presentation
- Birth name
- Date and place of birth
- Date and place of death
- Father’s name
- Mother’s birth name (maiden name)
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Health Insurance Number (HIN)
- Civil status: Single, married, widow/widower, legally separated, divorced
- Date of marriage / legal separation / divorce
- Pre-arrangement number (if applicable)
- Will (if available)